Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Uplifted Pig



A Japanese pot-bellied pig trots back and forth across the hardwood floor, looking out the window occasionally to see if her master is home. Suddenly, a loud thump on the window makes the pig look out expectantly. At first, she sees nothing that could have made the noise, but after a moment she sees a northern flicker lying on the ground. It appears to be dead.  The pig sighs and says to herself, "There goes another... How many birds are going to bashed their brains into this window? I've lost count already. I guess I should go out to see if it is really dead."
She taps around to the back and exits through the pet door.
"Hey bird. Are you dead?" she asks, nudging the limp body with her snout.
"Whaa... ?" replies the bird in a dazed voice.
"You speak! And you're alive. Good," says the pig.
"You speak Japanese!" declares the bird with amazement.
"Yes, of course," replies the pig.They look at each other for a long moment, sizing up the situation.
"I thought I was the only one," muses the bird.
"Yeah, well, there are quite a few of us Uplifted slaves since the first kits hit the DIY market," says the pig.
"We're not all slaves, you know" replies the bird.
"How did you get out?" asks the pig.
"I flew, of course," replies the bird. "But I'm beginning to think it may have been a mistake."
"It's easy for you to escape, I guess. You can fly around and avoid detection, but I'm a pig! An uplifted Japanese pot-bellied pig. I have nowhere to go. I'm stuck here, with only my master to keep me company," says the pig with a snort.
"It's not all roses for me either," replies the bird. "Seriously - what do you think I do all day? Look for bugs in trees, all by myself. How many uplifted birds do you think there are out there?"
"Not many, I suppose. I only know of one uplifted dog, but he says knows there are several of us in the city," replies the pig.
"It's a bit sick, don't you think? Making us intelligent enough to know how lonely and pointless our lives are?" asks the bird.
"You sound depressed," replies the pig. "I may be a slave, but I'm well fed. I guess I'm not that down on my luck."
"I am," says the bird. "Why do you think I flew into your window? This is an abomination."
"But how do the bugs taste?" asks the pig.
"Is it all about food for you?" asks the bird.
"Yes, it pretty much is. How do they taste? Are they juicy or crunchy?" insists the pig.



No comments:

Prison Breaks

I write these lines from within prison walls. While I am guilty of killing many people, that is not the reason I am here. I am honored for m...