Thursday, March 12, 2015

Storm Surge

"Tom, do you know what's happening with the storm?" Jerry asked.
"I have no idea - I've been trying to get information for the last fifteen minutes, but all of the websites are slow," replied his coworker.
"The last I heard, they were worried about a storm surge," Jerry said. "Are we supposed to go somewhere or wait for more information?"
"I don't know," Tom answered. "But how are we going to get more information? All the websites are dead."
"My wife called," piped in another coworker. "She said the storm surge was rising. The water is already coming over some of the dykes down in Georgetown."
"In Georgetown, really? Well those are old dykes," Jerry said.
"Did she hear anything about evacuations, Amir?" Tom asked.
"No. She didn't say anything, but I can't get through right now," Amir replied.
"You're up on the west end, aren't you?" Tom asked. " Your house, I mean. Your wife and kids should be fine up there."
"The house is there, but She's at work and the kids are at school," Amir said. "Her work and the school are down near the river."
"Oh, yeah," replied Tom. "That's not good."
"No," Amir agreed.
"So, like I was saying," Jerry said, "how are we supposed to know what we're supposed to do?"
"All we have are our phones and the internet, but the networks are jammed," Amir said.
"Are you going to take off?" Tom asked.
"I was thinking about it," Amir said.
"You'll look like an idiot if it's just another storm," Jerry laughed.
"Yeah, well, I'd rather take that risk," Amir said. "We have no way of knowing for sure."
"Nope," Jerry agreed.
"Funny, isn't it?" Tom asked. "In this hyper-connected world we can't get any information because everyone is trying to get information at the same time."
"What is the government warning system supposed to be?" Jerry asked. "Sirens or something?"

No comments:

Prison Breaks

I write these lines from within prison walls. While I am guilty of killing many people, that is not the reason I am here. I am honored for m...