Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Fat-Tail Scraps

"Why didn't you just look it up on your phone?" Alpha asked.
"It takes too long on my phone," Omega replied. "I don't even have it connected to the mobile network."
"Really? Why not?" Alpha asked, amazed. "It would take me about two seconds to look that up on my phone."
"That's probably because you have one of those expensive super-phones with a zillion giga-byte wireless plan," Omega replied.
"The phone wasn't that expensive and I got a good deal on the plan that came with the phone," Alpha said.
"Yeah, but how old is your phone? Mine's about four years old," said Omega.
"This is about six months - they gave me a new one around Christmas when I went in for an upgrade," Alpha replied.
"That's the thing with all this new technology. It's not super expensive to get in, but to keep up, you have to pay and pay. It's like breaking car payments down to biweekly rather than monthly - the numbers look lower, but the totals are higher," Omega complained.
"I don't think so," Alpha replied. "I'm not paying all that much for my plan. But it seems to me that you want all the benefits of new technology without having to pay for them," Alpha laughed.
"No, I hardly use my smart phone," Omega said. "I'm just saying that all the so-called benefits of the technology are really only for the people who are willing and able to pay - the rest of us just get dragged along on the fat-tail of consumer innovation. We might benefit to some degree, but more like dogs getting fat on table scraps rather than joining the actual feast."
"But at least the dogs get to eat," Alpha laughed.
"They get to over-eat," Omega said. "Staring at the ground, waiting for something to fall rather than going out into the woods to hunt for themselves, like real, self-respecting dogs!"

http://www.fastcompany.com/672681/long-fat-tail-content

No comments:

Prison Breaks

I write these lines from within prison walls. While I am guilty of killing many people, that is not the reason I am here. I am honored for m...