Thursday, March 12, 2015

Beebot

"But Dr. H, you've already made your fortune and fame with the Beebot Pollinator, why do you need to risk it all with this illegal activity?" asked the undergrad.
"My autonomous miniature robots are a revolutionary innovation," replied the doctor. "I am not happy with how quickly and easily people have accepted this revolution."
"I - I don't understand," the undergrad stammered.
"Bees pollinate as an unintended consequence of their primary purpose," Dr. H explained, "which is to bring nectar and pollen back to their nests for making honey."
"Yes, I understand that, but - ", the student began, but the doctor interrupted, raising his voice.
"But, if the general population does not sufficiently appreciate my technology for purposes of industry, then they will appreciate it for the purposes of terror!"
"Are you joking?" the student asked after a moment.
"No!" exclaimed the professor.
"Am I going to fail if I decide not to go along with this?" asked the student.
"The way I see it," continued the professor, in a calmer voice, "is that too many students avoid getting their flu shots and create a public health hazard. By having the Beebot sting students with the latest influenza vaccine, we will be simultaneously striking fear and immunity into the student body!"
"I don't know, Dr. H..." the student protested. "I'm sure you've heard that the campus police are already using your technology for security and surveillance."
"Yes, I have," said the professor proudly. "I gave them my permission."
"Well," said the student with a smug smile, "it looks like someone tipped them off about you being a potential security risk. Look at your window."
Crawling on the outside of the glass was what appeared, at first, to be an ordinary lady bug, but, on closer inspection, bore the university logo.
"That's ridiculous. It's illegal for them to record my private conversations!" Exclaimed the professor.
"I'm not so sure about that," replied the student. "I think any threats of *terrorism* really kill your rights as a citizen - tenured professor, celebrity, or otherwise. Oh, look! Here are some gentlemen to see you now!"

No comments:

Prison Breaks

I write these lines from within prison walls. While I am guilty of killing many people, that is not the reason I am here. I am honored for m...