Friday, March 20, 2015

Shrink Wrap



Shrink: It's 5 o'clock in the morning, Wrap. Can this wait for a few hours?
Wrap:   I'm sorry, doc, I falling apart here. I really need to talk to you now.
Shrink: Well, as long as you understand that my after-hours rates are double... Go ahead.
Wrap:   Thanks, doc, I'm sure my insurance will cover it.
Shrink: Are you at home, Wrap?
Wrap:   No, doc, I'm out walking. I can't sleep. I can't sit still. My mind is all over the place.
Shrink: That's fine, Wrap. Walks are very good for settling the mind. Just of curiosity, have you read my book, Walk and Talk Therapy? It might do you a lot of good.
Wrap:   Well, doc, like I said, I'm walking now. I walk all the time. I'm not sure more walking would be the right answer for me.
Shrink: Well, you might think about buying a copy anyway. I can probably help get your insurance to cover it.
Wrap:   Alright doc, thanks. But I don't want to read right now. I want to talk. I need to talk. I think I'm about to crack. I can't decide what to do. My brain's jumping all over the place - it feels like it needs to be defibrillated or something.
Shrink: Defibrillated? What do you mean by that, Wrap?
Wrap:   Um, like a defibrillator for the heart, you know? When a person's having a heart attack, their hearts are usually not stopped - they're jumping all over the place. The electrical firings are all out of sync.
Shrink: Oh, yes, of course.
Wrap:   My mind is skipping and jumping like that, doc. Is this a panic attack? Anxiety?
Shrink: Before we go on, Wrap, I need you to tell me: have you taken any medicines, drugs, alcohol, vitamins, or anything of that nature within the last 24 hours?
Wrap:   No, doc, of course not. You know I'm a health nut. That's what this is all about - my health.
Shrink: Are you concerned about dying, Wrap?
Wrap:   Dying? No. Not really. I don't know. All these health monitoring devices are -- they're making me crazy. I can't do anything!
Shrink: It sounds to me like you have a fear of death, Wrap. I want you to understand that such fear is perfectly normal. Many people go through periods where their realization of their own mortality becomes a bit overwhelming.
Wrap:   Doc! I'm pretty sure it is not your garden variety of fear of death I'm experiencing. I'm talking about all these bio-feedback sensors telling me I can't eat beans, can't exercise too much, can't sit too long, can't drink a beer, can't play basketball, can't read a book -- the lights're too dim, or whatever! It's seriously driving me crazy.
Shrink: Hm, Wrap... I hate to say this, but I just looked up your insurance and the policy clearly states that you're not covered for emergency psychological services.
Wrap:    Doc. You can't let me go like this. My monitors are pinging like crazy and I can't figure out what to do. It wants my blood sugar below 5.2 but my stress is making my liver squeeze out more sugar and I can't sleep with all the pinging and I exercised with weights a little too intensely, so now my cortisol is high and -- Doc! Help me!
Shrink: Well, Wrap. I hope the best for you. Try to relax and call my office around 9. We'll see if we can fit you in sometime today.
Wrap:   Doc?!
Shrink: Good night, Wrap.
Wrap:   Doc! I'm pinging like mad! This can't be good, doc! Dr. Actula?! Dr. Actula, you didn't just hang up on me did you?

http://www.northeastern.edu/squid/

http://www.amazon.ca/Walk-Talk-Therapy-Therapists-Guide-ebook/dp/B008E31T0A

No comments:

Prison Breaks

I write these lines from within prison walls. While I am guilty of killing many people, that is not the reason I am here. I am honored for m...