Friday, June 27, 2014

Wrong Side of the Continuum

I have a bit of an issue with labelling a trait or quality that is really just one end of a continuum - the tail of a normal distribution.  

For example, is ADHD really just low conscientiousness?

Conscientiousness is a fairly stable personality trait for how much care and deliberation is taken to do something "right".  People who are very conscientious tend to be hard-working, neat, and meticulous, while people who are not very conscientious tend to be impulsive, scattered, and unmotivated.

People with ADHD tend to be impulsive, restless, disorganized, and have difficulty completing tasks.

My hope is that despite it being a stable personality trait, coping skills could be learned that would ameliorate the negatives...

Hope springs eternal, eh?

No comments:

Prison Breaks

I write these lines from within prison walls. While I am guilty of killing many people, that is not the reason I am here. I am honored for m...