Wednesday, June 25, 2014

LBM and BP

Apparently it has been known since the time of Hippocrates that the "athletic" body type predisposes people to hypertension. I did not know this. I knew that BMI correlates positively with blood pressure (BP), but I thought that was just the statistics of fattness.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11939617

Body size correlates positively with blood pressure (BP) but there is controversy about the roles of obesity versus muscularity in this relationship.
The amount of LBM erased categoric BP differences between the genders.
The gender-related BP differences appear to reflect the inherent gender differences in muscle bulk.
Systolic and diastolic blood pressure are positively correlated with lean body mass and strength of leg extensors.

Therefore high lean-BMI correlates with high BP.


No comments:

Prison Breaks

I write these lines from within prison walls. While I am guilty of killing many people, that is not the reason I am here. I am honored for m...