Thursday, June 26, 2014

Alligator (and Bird) Lungs

In trying to determine if there are crocodiles or alligators in Florida, I found a freaky fact: air flows one-way through alligator lungs.

Thanks to one-way airflow, birds are far more efficient breathers than mammals. When they breathe in, air does not go directly into the lungs. Instead, it enters the air sacs, where it is stored briefly before passing into the lungs at the next inhalation. In this way, air enters and exits a bird's lungs at different points – in via the air sacs, out via the windpipe – allowing them to maintain near-constant, one-way airflow through their lungs and extract up to two-and-a-half times as much oxygen per breath as a mammal.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18392-alligators-bird-breath-may-explain-dinosaurs-triumph.html

No comments:

Prison Breaks

I write these lines from within prison walls. While I am guilty of killing many people, that is not the reason I am here. I am honored for m...