Thursday, June 26, 2014

Thank God for taxes.

In my youth, I was libertarian for a while, a couple of years actually, until I realized a several things... i.e., I grew up a little bit.  I read Ayn Rand as a kid and was sold... for a while.
Fundamentally, the whole notion is an illusion. The only way it could possibly work is if everyone thought exactly the same way - everyone was a staunch libertarian. Which, of course, is a complete fairy tale.
After I rejected the philosophy, I have continued to distance myself further and further on a number of other grounds. More recently, it occurred to me that the fundamental difference between feudalism and a relatively democratic society is the redistribution of wealth imposed by the State.  Without taxes and redistribution, the rich would quickly become the 0.001% and the rest of us would live in abject poverty - like it was in the good old days of kings and queens.

Thank God for taxes.

No comments:

Prison Breaks

I write these lines from within prison walls. While I am guilty of killing many people, that is not the reason I am here. I am honored for m...