Friday, June 27, 2014

Four

While refreshing my memory of what the basic emotions are, I was surprised to find that there are now only four rather than six.

Written all over your face: humans express four basic emotions rather than six, says new study


Four seems to be a magical number (not too simple, not too complex?):
 
Mad, Glad, Sad, and Surprised.
Hot, Dry, Wet, Cold
Air, Fire, Earth, Water
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Artisan, Guardian, Idealist, Rational
Sanguine, Phlegmatic, Choleric, Melancholic
Parietal, Frontal, Temporal, Occipital
Acetylcholine, Dopamine, GABA, Serotonin
sanguine (pleasure-seeking and sociable), Social SP
choleric (ambitious and leader-like), Ruling NT
melancholic (analytical and quiet), Avoiding NF

phlegmatic (relaxed and peaceful), Getting SJ

But what interested me most was that anger and disgust are now grouped together.
It could be fun to re-frame my own and other people's emotions: I'm not angry, I'm disgusted.
Or maybe I'm not disgusted, I'm angry - this dirty plate angers me.
Changing the number of basic emotions disgusts me. 

No comments:

Prison Breaks

I write these lines from within prison walls. While I am guilty of killing many people, that is not the reason I am here. I am honored for m...