Thursday, June 26, 2014

Nutzlosen Informationen


Worse than being filled mit nutzlosen Informationen is being filled with information that is potentially very useful, but is regarded as far-out and wacky.

Like a ketogentic diet for diabetes, Alzheimer's, Lou Gehrig, Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), Parkinson's, or epilepsy. Who would listen to a non-expert suggesting extreme ideas such as carbs are bad and ketone bodies are good? Even if the evidence is out there on the not-so-distant fringe?

I mean, how would you recommend deliberately infecting someone's kid with hookworms or whipworms to treat Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), multiple sclerosis, asthma, eczema, dermatitis, hay fever, or food allergies?

http://gut.bmj.com/content/54/1/6.full

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helminthic_therapy

Hell, I read the studies, see some of the evidence, understand the basic concepts and still don't trust my judgement. How could my opinion do anything other than marginalize a cause or a cure?

I could tell my dad until I was blue in the face that there is very good evidence that minimizing carbs will help starve cancer cells because most cancer cells lack glucose transporters and rely on osmotic flow of glucose, but his doctor says something else, and so... yawn...

I could (and have) lay out the idea behind the "old friends" theory of Crohn's to someone whose kid has Crohn's but they just nod and let the silly conversation pass.

I could (and have) lay out the idea behind mitochondrial damage in the brain due to glucose by-products and how ketone metabolism alleviates many of the symptoms of Alzheimer's, but they politely bite their tongue at screaming, "Quack!"

I could explain how insulin signals to the body to store sugar as fat and glycogen and causes the kidneys to retain sodium, but ... "That Greg!  He sure has some outlandish ideas!" Or, "That goes against what I have heard."

Like "scientists [who] are always coming out with a new study that contradicts the last one," you can't change your mind on anything without ruining your credibility...

Ah, woe is me! It is so hard being a crank, a contrarian, and a quack without groupies praising my every utterance. 

No comments:

Prison Breaks

I write these lines from within prison walls. While I am guilty of killing many people, that is not the reason I am here. I am honored for m...