Thursday, June 26, 2014

Cherry Picking

Why weep and moan when I am a dog?
I bark at the moon as 10-mile wide rocks
Whip by, in between, at 20,000 km/hr

It is so much more fun to jump around shouting, "Doom and Gloom!"

But it is hard to separate the truth from the opinions and cherry-picked ideas.

I could say:
A) Birth rates are levelling off because the financial burden of children is too great, ie our economic system is becoming more fragile;

B) Human birth rates may be levelling off, but livestock is increasing exponentially;

C) One pandemic could kill billions and destroy the global economy;

D) Gas, coal, and oil are cheap and abundant - green energy has very little chance of saving anything;

E) Our material culture (food, clothing, shelter, transportation, entertainment, personal space) would become cheaper and in greater demand if the energy to produce it were cheaper;


F) Without economic growth, loans become impossible and the entire economic network that supports agriculture, medicine, education, sanitation, etc, etc falls apart - all of these are essential for maintaining a population of 7, 9 or 11 billion people.

No comments:

Prison Breaks

I write these lines from within prison walls. While I am guilty of killing many people, that is not the reason I am here. I am honored for m...