Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Naturalistic Fallacy

I frequently fall into the trap of the Naturalistic Fallacy - just because something is natural, or that we were "evolved for it", it is not necessarily good.  Generally, I avoid the trap for obvious examples such as xenophobia, but in terms of health, I struggle to keep in mind that there is probably no optimized diet, exercise, lifestyle, etc that we were "evolved for". Instead, different groups of people went through various phases of selection pressure that came and went and changed.  

In addition, evolution is a kludge process.

"Natural selection is not a perfect process; if an organism is “fit enough” to survive a particular environment and reproduce, its genes are passed on to the next generation."

No comments:

Prison Breaks

I write these lines from within prison walls. While I am guilty of killing many people, that is not the reason I am here. I am honored for m...