Sunday, July 13, 2014

De-Extinction

There is an effort by people to insert preserved dna from extinct species into the closest related species and thereby resurrect the species. While this sounds cool, it brings to my mind the following string of questions:

  • To a living organism, does it matter if it is called a "banded pigeon" or a "passenger pigeon" by humans?
  • Is there any value difference between a lion and a leopard, a rabbit and a squirrel, a hawk and a pigeon, a human and a hamster? There seems to be, but really, an owl is just as or more dumb than a mouse.
  • Ecologically, it is a good thing, I suppose, but it is like someone painting a wall with fingernail polish while a dozen others smash it down with sledge hammers.

No comments:

Prison Breaks

I write these lines from within prison walls. While I am guilty of killing many people, that is not the reason I am here. I am honored for m...