Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy by Volume Training

Not to brag, but my training over the last two years has led me to completely agree with this article.  One set per exercise worked for three months - increased my muscular weight 20 lbs.  But regardless of changing exercises, or increasing weight (intensity) through periodization cycles, I have maintained essentially the same weight for almost two years.  The small results I see come from low--er weight, multiple set phases of my workout routines.  

There are two types of muscular hypertrophy. Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is when the volume of sarcoplasmic fluid in the muscle cell increases – this makes the muscles bigger, but does not increase their strength. Myofibrillar hypertrophy is when the myofobrils increase to improve muscular strength. This only leads to a small increase in muscle size. Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is the aim of bodybuilders, whereas myofibrillar hypertrophy is the aim of athletes and power lifters.

Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy which involved the increase in sarcoplasms, means that the muscles store more glycosomes, which are granules of stored glycogen. So for bodybuilders, increased glycogen production is important, and for this more carbs are required.

Research has also shown that increase repetitions (volume training) leads to sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, i.e. bigger muscles.

Maybe the real answer is a combination of high volume (warm up sets) and one work set where you lift until failure. 

--> This will be my new routine for a while - multiple "warm-up" sets followed by a progressive loading set (60% 1RM 1st week, 65% 1RM  2nd week, 70% 1RM 3rd week, 75% 1RM 4th week... to 90% 1RM

No comments:

Prison Breaks

I write these lines from within prison walls. While I am guilty of killing many people, that is not the reason I am here. I am honored for m...