Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Chastity

My favorite quote from Straw Dogs so far:

"Secularism is like chastity, a condition defined by what it denies." (p 126)

The point being that atheism/secularism is just another, more austere, spin on the Christian passion for truth.

This plays into my growing conviction that the truth, while intellectually challenging, is probably less profound that a game of chess or the matrix algebra used for computer graphics.

My new religion, for as long as the interest holds (there ain't much to it at this point), is summarized by an adolescent phrase I used 10 or 15 years ago, "Use your delusion." (This can be changed to "user delusion", "user illusion", etc. I probably took this from Guns and Roses.)

No comments:

Prison Breaks

I write these lines from within prison walls. While I am guilty of killing many people, that is not the reason I am here. I am honored for m...