Thursday, April 12, 2012

Are teenage girls the key to the future?

I believe that if you want to see the future, look at the young girls of today. If you want to understand the present, look at the young girls of five to ten years ago. Young people striving to impress each other - the interests, behaviors, and tendencies of these adolescent, confused individuals, define what is taking place and will take form in the future.

Women, or females, are the choosers, the selectors, the filters of our society's norms and mores. Young men try to impress, seduce, and otherwise win the favor of young women...
I should say that this is a general tendencies, in my ignorant estimation. I do not mean to claim that it is alway the young women making the decisions, nor that it is always the young men trying to woo the women. I think it is probably closer to the truth that a slight majority of the mate selection is decided on by the female. Overall, however, this slight majority steers the course of society. The preferences of young women today tend to influence the mentalities of other young women and of young men. As these youth grow into adults, these peer determined mores become societal norms.

The self image I formed as a child and adolescent was heavily influenced by my peers and by the young girls in the social environment of my youth. This is not to say that I blindly conformed to their preferences, but they were a major factor in the social environment to which I adapted. They were my immediate cultural influences. The music they liked, the clothes they wore, the way they talked - influenced everything from the language I speak to the way I comb my hair.

Young women, as far as I understand, are more concerned about what other young women think than about what their underdeveloped peer-boys think. Girls develop mentally at an early age than boys, and therefore set the tone and direction of the peer groups. The role of boys is largely trying to win at the games created by the girls.

As the boys and girls grow up, the games they play become more "serious", but are essentially just a mix of older and more recent generational games. The "real world" is just a decompression of the tight peer group-games played in adolescence. Boys find themselves competing with men who have had more time to play and seem to be winning. Girls find themselves in a similar situation, but most quickly realize that they are the prize. The quality of the contenders seems to increase dramatically as the young girls enter the adult arena, only to find that men, just like boys, are playing by rules set by women.

Why do we think men dominate western culture? Men produce the most works of art, writing, businesses, scientific discoveries, and are leaders in politics, business, religion, advanced education, etc, etc. It seems rediculous to state that men are actually just puppets to the preferences of women. Aren't men in control?

I argue that men are not in control of society; men are instinctively and aggressively trying to win a culture game where the sexual interest of young, fertile women is the grand prize. If women want men to be military heros, sports starts, scientists, wealthy business executives, cowboys, writers, or couch potatoes, then men want to be these things too.

All this instinctual effort to impress steers the direction of society and creates the future. The values and concerns that stay with us throughout most of our lives are formulated during our adolescence when teenage girls rule the roost. These young girls set their own courses and the courses of young boys and thereby create the future in their mysterious, indeciferable ways.

No comments:

Prison Breaks

I write these lines from within prison walls. While I am guilty of killing many people, that is not the reason I am here. I am honored for m...