Friday, November 27, 2009

How to Think about Economics

I have a degree in economics but haven't practiced the profession a day in my life.  Am I qualified to say how one should think about economics?  Probably not, but I just finished Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt.  It was originally written in 1946, but, as someone once said, history has a tendency to repeat itself.  The lesson applies as much, or more, today than it did then.  Especially in regards to the "economic stimulus package".

The Lesson: The art of economics consists in looking not merely at the immediate but at the longer effects of any act or policy; it consists in tracing the consequences of that policy not merely for one group but for all groups.

Question:  Is the Economic Stimulus Package a good thing?  Will it reduce unemployment?

Answer: No.  It will have several negative results which will adversely affect the work poor the most severely.  But don't just take my word for it, read what Hazlitt has to say.

No comments:

Prison Breaks

I write these lines from within prison walls. While I am guilty of killing many people, that is not the reason I am here. I am honored for m...