Saturday, March 1, 2014

Anti-ketosis

I have experimented for the past five months with a ketogenic diet in the hopes of improving my insulin sensitivity. I have little doubt that it has been effective for this, but I am annoyed with my chronic electrolyte imbalances causing cramping. I do not like relying on supplements to get all my required minerals since, in pill form, they tend to cause competition problems for absorption (or something like that). 
Also, with just a slight increase in my running distances, I have noticed muscle loss and increased cramping. Neither of which I am in favour...
Most of the problems seem to come from the very low levels of  insulin the diet produces.

So, gathering counter arguments against a ketogenic diet, I share these links:

The ketogenic diet inhibits the mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) pathway

Ketogenic Diets Inhibit mTOR, Insulin, IGF-1 and Muscle Growth 

Regulation of mTOR by amino acids and resistance exercise in skeletal muscle

No comments:

Prison Breaks

I write these lines from within prison walls. While I am guilty of killing many people, that is not the reason I am here. I am honored for m...