Friday, April 4, 2008

Short Wind

The issue before me this morning is what difference does it make that reality is a product of consciousness? Rather than get into a long winded explanation of why this is so, I'd like to focus on the implications.

First, if reality has a property which is analogous to density, does there need to be an ultimate density? Phrased in this way, the obvious answer is no. There are variations in density, but although black holes theoretically do exist, there is not an obvious requirement for them to exist. It follows that there does not need to be an ultimate reality or, consequent to this, an ultimate consciousness.

Second, assuming that reality increases as consciousness increases, does this create an obligation to increase our consciousness? Or to decrease it, for that matter? To be obliged is to be indebted because of some favor or service. Is reality a favor or service? I don't see any reason to think so.

No comments:

Prison Breaks

I write these lines from within prison walls. While I am guilty of killing many people, that is not the reason I am here. I am honored for m...